Samstag, 25. Februar 2017

90 Day Turkish Challenge - Day 3 - Learn from Differences and Similarities.

Merhaba, Hello.

Today I did not have not so much time to actually learn due to I was at a friend's, but I had the opportunity to listen to a lot of turkish songs. I really felt in love with the Band Neyse. Their lyrics are easy understandable and the music style is great, if you like rock music.

I also want to talk a little

Afterwards I just listened actively to a dialog I had decoded on thursday. I want to show you an example of how a decoded text could look like in turkish and what advantage you get by doing it.

Turkish: Yeşil    zetin   var           mı? - Yeşil   zeytin yok. Siyah var.
English: Green  olives  there-is    mı? - Green olives no.   Black there-is. 
Normal: Are there green olives? - (There are) no green olives. There are black ones.

Did you realize the difference?
We have got a diffferent sentence structure (SOV instead of SVO) and we have got the question particle I allready talked about. You also need less words than in english. In the second sentence there is not even a verb.

Because of this difference you may need to write the correct english sentence below, otherwise you might loose the overview.

To think about differences and similarities of two language is very important for me. at the beginning when you want to speak in a new language, you have to translate the sentence from your own language into the new one.

Let us say you want to say:

"Hello, how are you doing?"

 in German. Literally translated it would mean:

"Hallo, wie ist du tuend?"

But in Germany, you would say:

"Hallo, wie geht es dir?"

Literally translated:

"Hello, how goes it you?"

So this is where it is good to know the differences between those languages, that you do not accidentally create a german sentence in the english way. But There are also many things languages have in common which make it ways easier to learn it. For example the word order similar vocabulary.

Many people who learn vocab-lists and grammar rules instead of sentences in context or with full texts have got the problem that they might mix the word order or the way things are said in two languages. I had this problem many times in English and still do, but for example in Swedish I do not.

So comparing structures of two languages will definetly improve your way of speaking and writing. There are several ways to do it. You can chose either single sentences or phrases or do it with whole texts. I use both ways, but more often I do it using whole texts or Dialogs. Thats why I love to decode texts with the Birkenbihl-method. And notice: your brain will do a lot of work for you! You do not have to learn dozends of rules by heart, but only listen and read. If you do so, your brain will automatically assimilate the structures.

After a while you will think in the way of the language you are learning. So you now do not have to translate from your native language to the new one, but you can directly create sentences. This is the point when you understood the language .

"I know all those words, but that sentece makes no sense to me."                                       - Matt Groening
Thank you for reading.
Best regards,
Alex,

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen