Mittwoch, 22. März 2017

Learning Maths, or other subjects in a foreign language

Hello dear reader.

As my exams become closer in time, I have to learn a huge amount of material. Because of that my language learning gets shortened. So what I have to do is trying to combine both, learning for school and learning Swedish and Turkish.

How am I doing that?



Well that is quite easy. First of all, I have to look on what I have to learn. Take maths as an example. I have to write a exam in maths, so I can watch informative videos on Youtube about different topics within maths. The huge advantage this provides is that I go much more in detail as if I watched them in English or German. Thats caused by the fact that I will watch it three or four times to get fully used to what they say and write. Furthermore I will much more concentrate on trying to understand the content, because then I will get automatically used to the language used.

I can do this for Maths, I can do this for history, for sociology, for the sciences (chemistry, biology, physics), but not for the languages I have to study for (German and English).

Studying the first ones in Swedish is great for me and I can do it. The last ones I have to study in German and in English. As I wrote in previous articles, learning English is quite easy to do, I listen a lot and I read a lot. Furthermore I study many subjects, like maths, in both languages, Swedish and English. So I am learning English while learning Maths. Is that not great?

So what is left now is my Turkish. It is not yet at a level where I can understand a lot or read texts about the subjects I want to learn. But there are some steps I can actually take.

First of all, I can talk to people I know about less difficult topics. For example some topics that I have to deal with in history or in sociology or in my ethics class. Those are easy topics where you can use easy language. You do not have to go into depth like in Maths where you need all those special terms and scientific definitions. Furthermore I am really interested in history, ethics, sociology, politics and co, so I definetly want to use texts dealing with those topics to learn with.

Of course this will not be as usefull as if I studied in English, Swedish or German, but it will increase my language skills in Turkish.

And now we come to the greatest advantage you receive using several languages:

You have so much more sources to go with. There were so many times in my entire school life where I had to use English sources for (lets say) presentations or for learning about a certain topic which I did not understand in school. So when you are actually using those languages, you have got the key to many, many sources and tutors (for example in online lectures on Youtube, which are great to learn scientific topics.

And of course do the same procedure with any other language you are speaking in or are learning with.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school"         - Albert Einstein

Thank you for reading. If you have got any questions to me, let me know in the comment section.
Best Regards,
Alex.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen